Chapter 19
“Just because we fooled him doesn’t mean he
won’t kill Rhapsody,” Rafe had said before leaving his own home. He had
left Sloane and Jacen with Loqi. Loqi was asleep, sleeping off whatever drug
Rafe had given him, but it had kept him settled. Rafe had figured that the men
would not fight while Loqi was not awake to make smart comments. It did not
keep Sloane from wanting to drive his thumb into Loqi’s shoulder and causing
him further pain.
“You know,
he shot me in the head, I should hate him more than you do,” Jacen pointed out
as Sloane stared out the window.
“That was
just an illusion,” Sloane pointed out.
“Tell that
to my head or heart,” Jacen said.
Rafe opened
his front door and came back into the house, looking at Sloane and Jacen who
had not gone far since he had left. Both were watching him anxiously, holding
their breath.
“Rhapsody
isn’t at the hospital,” Rafe said. “The director told me that she had been
called to the manor and he was told it would be a few days before she
returned.”
“We either
turn over Ellie or lose Rhapsody,” Jacen said. He glanced at Sloane and
Sloane’s stomach dropped. Jacen had a strong moral compass and a stronger sense
of loyalty. Unfortunately, his loyalty was primarily to the woman whose life
had been threatened.
“We are
absolutely not turning Eleanore in,” Rafe said. The men before him looked
surprised at his absolution. “That man was willing to kill us right there if he
had to because he thought we had betrayed him. You saw Hako. Eleanore will be
used to create more of that.”
“We give her
over until we can rescue her,” Jacen said. “Until we have a plan.”
“Do you have
one?” Rafe asked. “A plan to rescue her? Or is your plan just to rescue
Rhapsody?”
“I can’t let
Rhapsody die,” Jacen argued.
“Rafe, I
think it’s time to abandon your plan,” Loqi said. How long he had been awake
Sloane was unsure, but he was sitting up in the bed looking more awake than
groggy. “Honestly, I don’t even know
what your plan was, but it’s obviously not working.”
“To take
down the presidency,” Rafe admitted flatly. “It’s just not that easy. Not when
he can control an entire group using fear.”
“You can
stop people’s powers, though,” Sloane said. “How can you not just defeat
people?”
“I can, and
I can’t,” Sloane said. “Remember, there’s a side effect to every person’s
power. I deal with my own side effects. And Bastian is older and stronger than
I am. All of these years I have been trying to find a way to defeat him, and he
creates something stronger. We meddle, and he finds a way around it. We steal
his plans, he has them memorized. We once blew up the entire lab and he had it
rebuilt in days. I simply can not get around him.”
“Then we
run,” Loqi said.
“Running is
not an option,” Rafe snapped.
Loqi pushed
the covers off of him and stood. He was dressed in a white button down shirt
Rafe had lent him that was a little too small on Loqi’s broader body, but Loqi
made it appear like it worked so that no one would notice he was not wearing
his own uniform shirt. “What do you suggest, then?”
“If we run,
we leave all of those people to Bastian,” he said. “Rhapsody, David, people
like Hako who were simply unruly and in need of discipline not to have his
whole being toyed with.”
“You already
left them to Bastian,” Loqi snapped. “He’s already doing what he wants because
while yes, you have saved some, you have allowed more to be destroyed. You let
Eleanore escape, but Bastian was smart enough to figure out that he needed her
and is growing more suspicious because she has not come before him.”
“We need to
rescue as many as we can,” Rafe said.
“No, we
don’t,” Loqi said. “But I can save Rhapsody.”
“Loqi-“
“Rafe,” Loqi
snapped. “I know you want to save the world, but you can’t even save these
kids.”
“Hey,”
Sloane said.
Loqi
continued as if he had not even spoken. “Bastian is stronger than us, and we
aren’t even fighting battles against him, much less at war. I will go to the
manor and get Rhapsody. You three go to Eleanore and get her headed to the
port. We’ll be behind you in hours.”
“I’m going
with you,” Jacen volunteered.
“No,” Loqi
said. “I really do not need a variable in this. I have to trick Bastian, which
is hard to do, but not impossible to do. I can not have a loose cannon at my
side.”
“What if you
get caught?” Rafe asked Loqi.
“What if I
don’t?” Loqi asked back. “You have spent too much time being cautious.”
“I haven’t,”
Rafe said. He straightened his back and Sloane saw it, he saw there was more to
what Rafe had been doing all of this time than they knew. Rafe’s fight had been
in the shadows from everyone for a long time, and he was still keeping secrets.
“Sloane,
Jacen, come on, we are going to head to Eleanore,” Rafe said.
“I won’t go
without Rhapsody,” Jacen said.
“Now you
decide to get bullheaded,” Sloane snapped at him.
“Then stay
here and wait for us,” Loqi said, “but it’s at your own expense. I am promising
nothing but to do my best.”
“Jacen, I
implore you to just come with us,” Rafe said.
“I will stay
and wait,” Jacen said. “Go without me. I’ll be along when he gets Rhapsody.”
“How did it
turn out like this due to one girl?” Rafe demanded, for the first time not
looking like the calm figure he usually cut. His face was dark and his mood
darker.
“Because she’s an anomaly that
needs to be kept away from Bastian,” Loqi said with as much seriousness as the
man had ever shown, at least from what Sloane gathered. His smile, even while
he was bleeding, told Sloane he did not take much seriously. He did not
appreciate the protective nature the man had over Ellie, but at the same time
Sloane also wanted to protect her from whatever Bastian had in mind. “She was
able to take the flower test, she used her powers without knowing she had them
in ways that always suited her benefit, and she can fight my illusions. Imagine
what knowing how to control what she has will do. She could fight Bastian.
Bastian will experiment on her, but the first time he shows she’s stronger than
him, he will kill her.”
“If I run, I put a lot of
people in danger,” Rafe said. “I can’t take that risk, not for just her.”
Loqi shrugged and said, “I’m
going to go get Rhapsody, and then I’m going to get Eleanore out of here. If
you want to continue to stick around, that’s fine. Same with all of you, but my
mind is made up.”
Sloane pulled his gun out of
his belt and counted the bullets that were left in it from what Bastian had
given him. Five bullets, he had only used one out of the six. Bastian had been
planning to kill anyone that was a betrayer, and if Sloane had had to shoot
several times he would have let him. The spectacle had stopped Bastian from
asking for more, he had been satisfied with that answer. Or had he been?
“You said you can’t always
fool the president,” Sloane said. “I don’t think you did.”
Sloane proceeded to do the
stupidest thing he was sure he had ever done before. He held up his gun with
its five bullets and aimed for the spy. The gun went off and the bullet turned,
the speeding projectile moving through the small room and driving itself
through the back of Jacen’s shoulder until he hit the ground. Sloane did not
move. He watched Jacen fall forward and to his knees, crying out in pain as
blood dribbled down his shoulder to the wood paneling below him. Rafe and Loqi
stared at Jacen, not quite sure what had just happened, but Sloane had known.
Something had been bothering him about his friend’s actions. Yes, he knew
Rhapsody and Jacen had been in a relationship, and that his loyalty would lie
with her, but he had questioned nothing when Sloane came back. He had not
attempted to truly get Sloane alone and talk to him. He simply had accepted
everything as it had rolled.
“Your loyalty is with Rhapsody
over me,” Sloane said.
“Yours is with Ellie over us,”
Jacen hissed.
“You’re right,” Sloane said. “I
loved you, you know.”
“No you didn’t,” Jacen hissed.
“You loved pissing off your dad.”
“I told you that ended when I
got to know you,” Sloane said. The bubble in his chest was a heavy weight on
his lungs. He felt like he was losing his breath, but he was seeing clearly for
the first time. Jacen would have been willing to go with Rhapsody without him. He
was brought along for one reason, and it was mostly to give Ellie something
else to do while Rhapsody and Jacen did each other.
Jacen barked out a laugh and
said, “Are you going to kill me, Sloane?”
Sloane was tempted. He raised
the revolver but Rafe stopped his hand. Rafe knew if he shot and wanted to kill
Jacen, his aim would be true, but Rafe was only offering a small comfort.
“Sloane, you will regret it. Jacen, why would you betray your friend? When did
you even have time?”
“When Dr. Meridion tested
Rhapsody,” Jacen spat.
Sloane rocked back on his
heels. Dr. Torrow had taken Rafe with him to test Ellie, and then Dr. Meridion
had handed Sloane a key and told him to meet them out back. Sloane could
meditate or practice until they came for him.
Rafe and Loqi were staring
down at Jacen, neither knowing what to say or do. They had not been expecting
that. Loqi looked as if he should have been expecting it.
“We were sent for you,” Loqi
finally said. “They told us to return you without harm, all of you. They knew
exactly where you would be. It had all been a test, from the very beginning.”
“President Gentile knows you
are betraying him, Rafe,” Jacen said. “He knows about the metals you have been
stealing, he knows about your poisoning the people, and he knows about Ellie.
He’s known about Ellie for months, because she’s manipulated David every time
she’s met up with him. He just didn’t know how deep that manipulation and
betrayal went. Loqi, he suspected you were ready to betray him, after what
happened to David, you never acted the same.”
Rafe looked to Loqi, who
shrugged his shoulders, giving no answer which was answer enough. It was not
untrue.
“Why are you telling us all of
this?” Sloane asked.
“Because I was told you to
kill you all,” Jacen said, and while kneeling on the ground he let his hands
touch the wooden floor. The room around them began to ignite, quickly. “Do you
wish you had shot me now?” Jacen taunted, disappearing behind the flames.
Sloane held his arm up, ready
to shoot the man he had once called friend, but Rafe stopped him. “Don’t,” he
said. “There is too much fire, it might just backfire. No gunpowder.”
Loqi nodded in agreement, but
what Sloane was seeing was different than what Loqi had agreed to. Sloane
stepped away from his own body, which was a surreal vision, and held up his
gun. The version of Sloane still holding up the gun said, “Shoot Jacen in the
heart,” and let a bull ring. Loqi glanced at the real Sloane and realized he
still needed him to aim the illusion bullet. Sloane wasn’t sure how he did it,
but he held out his own hand to give the bullet a trajectory. The scream from
the other side of the flames told them the illusion had found Jacen and that he
was likely bleeding out on the floor, or at least thinking he was dying. Loqi’s
lips quivered from the thrill and Sloane would have continued to hate him that
excitement, but in that moment he would have loved to have seen Jacen writhing
in pain. It was the second time Loqi had killed Jacen. He only hoped if there
had to be a third time it was in reality. Sloane would hate himself later for
the thought.
Loqi pushed them out of the
burning house, leaving Jacen laying there, not truly dying, but if the flames
separated from him he would die in the fire. Sloane had only a moment of regret
before turning away from the friend who had betrayed him, in more than one way.
“We have to
go to Dr. Torrow,” Rafe said. “I have to see if he is safe.”
“I am going
back to my place,” Loqi said. “There are things I need to get.”
“You are
going to risk it for material possessions?” Rafe asked in an exasperated tone.
“There is something
there I have to keep away from Bastian. Sloane, aim.” Sloane aimed and a scream
was heard as Loqi’s illusion took over the rest. “I will either see you at the
gates, or meet you at the burned ruins of Eleanore’s house.”
“Burned
ruins?” Sloane asked.
“Not the
time,” Rafe said. “Go, fast, we’ll go check on the doctor. We’ll find each
other soon.”
Rafe gave
Sloane no choice. He grabbed his arm and dragged him forward. Sloane was
staggering, physically and mentally, but he kept pace with Rafe. Rafe shook him
slightly and Sloane realized that without Loqi’s illusions and with them out in
the open, he had to be aware.
“I will
destroy the powers of anyone near us but you,” Rafe said, “but you still need
to be alert. A gun can still kill us.”
“I’m paying
attention,” Sloane said, even if it meant he was only paying attention after
being reminded. Most people that they ran past were more focused on Rafe’s home
burning down than the people running past them. In the dark of the night they
were mostly brushing it off as the two of them were escaping the flames.
Whoever else was watching them did not bring attention to them, nor did they
need to. In front of them there was a hissing sound, something coming from the
doctors’ building was letting out the sound. While it was a hiss, it was loud
enough that it was heard by both Rafe and Sloane, slowing them down before they
came to a full stop.
“I know that
sound,” Rafe said. “Get back, Sloane.” He pushed him back in time for a loud
boom and then a rush of flames coming through one of the windows. The soldiers
who had not left the barracks either took off running or hit the ground. Sloane
reached his hand up and covered his head, but he did little more than stare at
the fire in front of him. There was an internal debate of going to see if Dr.
Torrow was all right or running the other way. He realized this said a lot
about him and took several steps forward about the same time Rafe held his arm
out and told him, “Don’t be a hero.”
“It feels
wrong doing nothing,” Sloane said quietly, hoping Rafe could hear him over the
roar of the fire, over the sound of glass breaking, over the cries of surprise
and fear.
“I know,”
Rafe said. “Trust me, I know, but sometimes you have to cut your losses. Dr.
Torrow did not live through that if he was in there. It was set up
deliberately.”
“Shouldn’t
be try?” Sloane asked.
Rafe looked
at Sloane and asked, “Do you want to?”
“No,” Sloane
answered honestly. “I want to run. But it feels wrong to leave someone who
could be alive and in pain and in need of help.”
“I can’t
follow you in,” Rafe said. “I’m sorry.”
Sloane knew
that meant Rafe would stay out there, trying to help him from the outside,
while he went inside in hopes of finding Dr. Torrow. Sloane did not manage to
go far before the flames became a detriment. He opened the door to fires that
were burning the equipment, the samples, and the body in the center. Sloane
risked it, because the man might have still been alive, pushing through the
flames as they licked at him, continually swiping at himself to make sure he
was not on fire, or putting a small fire on his clothes out.
Dr. Torrow
was dead, but it was not from the flames licking at his body. There was a
syringe in his neck that had the remainders of a light blue liquid within it.
Sloane was not positive if the liquid was meant to kill him or trigger a
reaction, but he was dead before the flames were eating at him.
Sloane said
a word in honor of the body and the gods, not knowing what Dr. Torrow’s
religion would have been but not wanting to just leave him without something
being said. Sloane quickly reached through the flames and grabbed the syringe,
pulling it from Dr. Torrow’s neck and breaking the needle on the ground before
sticking it into his pocket. He did, though, leave the body behind. He was not
going to risk his life further for a body.
A shadow in
the fire moved. Sloane jerked his head up to the figure moving closer to him
and Sloane stood from the flaming body, fire continuing to burn and erupt
around him, threatening to smother him in the smoke or burn him to death if he
did not move.
“Hako,”
Sloane shouted through a cough. “Hako, you don’t have to stay here in this.”
Hako, the
silhouette of burning fire, was under control of the fire now. Though he was
burning, his skin was only dark from the shadows the darkness and fire were
casting, not from the burns. He looked almost whole, except for those eyes that
still looked as if they did not truly understand what was happening to him.
Hako stayed
amidst the flames. Sloane took that as his opportunity, that the experiment
seemed to have little interest in Sloane other than watching him closely. Sloane rushed out of the building,
feeling sweat dripping down his back. Rafe was still standing outside, his back
to the burning building, watching people run in confusion. Someone was trying
to throw water at the building, which might save the buildings around it. The
building itself was going to be a loss by the time the flames were burnt out.
Rafe looked
to him and Sloane said, “I found a syringe in his neck, I brought it with me.”
Rafe nodded and Sloane suddenly felt the need to ask, “Are either of them
gifted?”
“You mean
did Dr. Meridion do this with a gift? No. They are just scientists.”
“Just scientists,”
Sloane repeated, feeling the ache of the burns along his skin. He was going to
regret going into that building tomorrow.
“Don’t be
pedantic,” Rafe said. “I personally thought a lot of Dr. Torrow and am sad he
died.”
“You don’t
look it,” Sloane snapped.
“Sloane, I
understand you are having a rough night, but one day you will learn you can not
let your emotions rule you.” Rafe stepped forward. “Come on, we can’t wait for
Loqi. They are going to come and try to kill us soon.”
“Are you
sure they aren’t going to just use us for experiments?” Sloane asked.
“Yes,” Rafe
said. “Bastian made a mistake earlier by keeping us alive. He won’t make that
mistake again, he needs to save face.”
“For who
exactly?” Sloane asked.
“That’s the
question, isn’t it?” Rafe grabbed Sloane on the wrist and dragged him forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment