Chapter 9
“I
thought you just needed like a vial or something,” Sloane said as the third
cylinder was filled with the thick red liquid. How much of his blood did they
need? Certainly not more than he actually needed.
“Come
on, tough guy, you can handle this,” Dr. Torrow smiled, he always smiled, it
was creepy. He never looked unhappy, while on the opposite side of the spectrum
Dr. Meridion never looked happy.
“I didn’t
say I couldn’t, I’m just wondering why you need four vials of blood,” Sloane
said.
“Six,
actually,” Dr. Torrow said.
On the
other side of Sloane Jacen was having his blood drawn by Dr. Meridion. Jacen
was not complaining, of course, but he did not look happy with the amount of
blood being drawn from him. He was grimacing, not from pain, at least Sloane
did not think it was from pain, just from the actual act of things that were
happening.
Rafe was
in the room reading a book in the corner. He seemed to be ignoring them all but
Sloane knew better. That man did not miss anything, and was also keeping Sloane
and Jacen under control in case they decided to put up a fight. Sloane was not
sure why he would fighting giving blood, except that he thought the amount they
were taking was excessive. He was under no illusion that this was for records
only. Dr. Torrow and Dr. Meridion were more than just testing people’s
abilities.
The door
in the back of the room opened, causing everyone to glance towards it. Sloane
was surprised to see David standing in the doorway, a black and silver uniform
on his person, a black cap on his head, slightly shadowing the ruined side of
his face, though it did not hide it. The last time Sloane had seen David he had
been cold and indifferent, but right now David looked anything but.
“David,”
Dr. Torrow said, “I was not expecting you quite so soon.”
“I’m not
here picking up the package,” David said. “I actually came for Sloane and I was
told he was here.”
Rafe put
down his book. “What do you need, David?” The words were unkind, and Rafe had
taken the position of coldness that David had before.
“I need
Sloane, I thought I just said that,” David snapped at Rafe.
“For
what purpose?” Rafe asked. “He is under my command currently, anything you need
him for needs to go through me.”
“I am
inviting him to come along with me on a trip,” David said. Rafe simply raised
an eyebrow. “Ellie has been kidnapped from the soldiers who were taking her
home. I would like Sloane to accompany me to find her.”
Rafe’s
face fell for a moment and real concern showed on it. “What do you mean she was
kidnapped?”
“I had
two soldiers go and make sure she arrived safely,” David explained, “and they came
upon the carriage, the soldiers who had been inside of it completely bloodied. They
do not know who took her, but I have been given permission to go and find her.”
“Why
take Sloane?” Rafe asked.
“I am an
awful shot,” David said, and waved his hand in the general direction of the
shadows on his face. “If I need to defend, I can not.”
“Why
Sloane?” Rafe asked again. “You have soldiers at your command from the
president’s manor. Sloane is untrained, and if you tell me just because he has
a stake in this as well I will immediately say no. That’s a good reason not to
go.”
“You’re
kidding me, right?” Sloane asked. Dr. Torrow pulled the needle slowly from his
arm, having filled all six vials, and gave him a piece of gauze to put over the
wound the needle had made. Sloane pressed against the gauze but had not taken
his eyes from Rafe. “Ellie is my best friend, leaving her to Gods knows what
out there would be wrong.”
“I
agree, which is why you should not be the one to find her,” Rafe said. “To be
fair, I do not think David should be going either, but I have no command over
David.”
“Why
would someone kidnap Ellie?” Jacen asked. “It doesn’t make sense.”
“To get
at me,” David said. “I am sure this is a personal agenda.”
“What
makes you so important?” Sloane asked. He meant no offense to it, he simply
wanted to know why David would be worth that much to anyone.
“I am
working closely with the president,” David said, “I have a lot of enemies right
now, including people within my own compound.” David and Rafe were glaring at
one another, the air in the room thick with the tension between the two of
them.
“Do you
have any leads?” Jacen asked of David.
“I have
an idea of where they went, the soldiers had picked up on a few clues. The
longer I wait, the longer those clues go cold.”
“And you
should find her,” Rafe agreed. “But you are not taking Sloane. I will not state
my argument again.”
“You
will seriously leave her out there to suffer because you are unwilling to let
him leave?” David asked.
“Bring
Loqi,” Rafe said. “I am sure that he would love an opportunity to help you out
in a revenge chase.”
“You are
not sending that madman after Ellie,” Sloane snapped.
“I am
not sending you, either,” Rafe said. “You will stay put. David, I am sorry
about your sister, and I do hope you find her, but you will have to do it with
someone else’s help.”
Sloane
jumped off the table and slammed his way through the back door David had
entered, stomping all of the way to his barracks.
No comments:
Post a Comment